Travel and Mobility

Apply for a Blue Badge

The Blue Badge scheme helps you park closer to your destination if you have a disability or health condition that affects your mobility or you care for a child with a health condition. From 2019 the Blue Badge scheme will also be available for people with hidden disabilities including autism and mental health conditions.

The new criteria will extend eligibility to people who:

– cannot undertake a journey without there being a risk of serious harm to their health or safety or that of any other person (such as young children with autism)
-cannot undertake a journey without it causing them very considerable psychological distress
-have very considerable difficulty when walking (both the physical act and experience of walking)

If you want to apply under these criteria you should apply on or after the 31 August 2019

Applications are made to your local authority. For Sheffield residents you can apply online here:

Apply for a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass

A disabled person’s travel pass enables free public transport for those who qualify within the South Yorkshire area. This is open to people aged 5 to 66 years old.

There are various conditions which can qualify you for a bus pass. These include  an award of the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or a Personal Independence Payment award (PIP) with a score of 8 points or more for “Moving Around” or “Planning a Journey”.

For more information about eligibility and how to apply see:

Carer’s Pass

If you receive PIP enhanced level, DLA higher rate care or higher rate attendance allowance, you may also qualify to have a carer travel with you free of charge. (See the link above.)

Transport for Children with Special Educational Needs

If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Educational Health Care Plan (EHCP), or is currently undergoing an assessment for an EHCP, they may be eligible for travel support. The local authority assesses a child’s transport needs individually.

For more information and how to apply see:

Post 16 Travel Support for Young People with Special Educational Needs

For information see this page:

Sheffield’s Home to School Travel and Transport Policy (All Children and Young People)

Download the 2018 draft policy statement here: 2018-19-Home-to-School-Travel-and-Transport-Policy-draft-for-circulation

Motability Scheme

“The Motability Scheme provides an affordable, worry-free way for people with disabilities to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance. The Scheme is operated by Motability Operations Ltd, under contract to Motability, a registered Charity.”

Eligible allowances include Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

To find out more and for information about how to apply for the scheme see:

If you are not the disabled person, but are acting on their behalf as an appointee or nominee, then you may find the following information useful: Information for carers and appointees

Motability claim that the scheme has particular benefits for families with autistic members. See: 

Disabled Person’s Railcard

Get 1/3 off adult rail fares for travel on the National Rail network in Great Britain.

If you’re travelling with another adult they will also get 1/3 off their rail fare, so you can save money for a friend or family member too!

There are no time restrictions on the Disabled Persons Railcard, so you can use it to get a discount on tickets at any time of the day.

For more information and how to apply see:

Stagecoach Bus Journey Assistance Cards

“Journey Assistance Cards are available for you to use if you need a bit more help when using the bus. They’ll make it easier for you to let our bus drivers know what extra help you need.

You can use your cards any time of the day, seven days a week, on any of our bus services.”
For more information see:

Carers’ Parking Permits

If you need essential care at home provided by a carer or carers, you may be eligible for a resident’s carer permit. It entitles the vehicle to park without time limit in a ‘permit holders only’ bay while the driver provides care for the permit holder in their home.

They are not available for residents of the inner or outer city centre or Holme Lane, Loxley New Road and Vaughton Hill schemes.

For more information and how to apply see:

Safer Travel Guidance for Parents, Carers and Practitioners 

Sheffield City Council has produced some guidance to help people who are involved in making transport arrangements for children or adults at risk, or who have specific needs when travelling. It is aimed at professionals, parents, carers, young people and adults at risk, to help them make informed decisions about their travel arrangements so that the experience is a safe and comfortable one.

The guidance describes what safeguarding arrangements the local authority has put in place for the transport it regulates and also suggests what passengers and their carers can do, to play their part in making the travel experience a positive one.

The documents below can be downloaded from this site (see links below). They are in draft form and if you wish you can take part (up to September 10th 2019) in the current consultation before they appear in final form.

Draft Guidance for Safe Travel (SCC)

Annex 1 (SCC) Transport Safeguarding Code of Conduct : Good safeguarding practice for drivers and passenger assistants working with vulnerable passengers.

Annex 2 (SCC) SEND transport booklet : Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) home to school transport service

Annex 2 (SCC) Guidance for Safe Travel : Young Passengers Code of Conduct

Sheffield Safe Places Scheme

Sheffield Safe Places are a network of businesses and organisations dedicated to providing temporary safe refuge and assistance for adults who find themselves in difficult situations whilst out and about. The project supports adults in Sheffield to lead independent lives by creating a network of safe places in all areas of Sheffield. Adults who join the scheme and their families’ are reassured that help is available if it is needed.

For more information see: and

Sheffield Adult Safeguarding Partnership

“Our website provides a wide range of useful information and resources for members of the public and professionals who may be concerned about adult abuse or neglect. You will find general information on keeping safe and how to report concerns”:

Staying Safe (Sheffield Directory “Local Offer”)

Links to a variety of services in Sheffield involved in safeguarding children and young people:

Getting Around (Sheffield Directory “Local Offer”)

Links to a variety of services in Sheffield involved in travel, accessible transport, information and advice about travel:

Holidays: Preparation and Practicalities (National Autistic Society)

Advice from the National Autistic Society – Planning a holiday can be exciting and stressful for everybody, but there can be extra things to consider if you are travelling with someone who is autistic:

Air Travel Guidelines on Hidden Disabilities

New guidelines setting out how UK airlines and airports should support people with hidden disabilities, including autistic people:

Why Children with Autism Fear Travel

Why children with autism fear travel – and what parents and operators can do to help (Daily Telegraph article):

AccessAble Access Guides

AccessAble provide free online detailed access guides to thousands of venues across the UK and Ireland, including venues in Sheffield